Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mom's Chilli Crabs


My mom is a superb cook, taken after my late grandmother. While I am a brilliant "food-taster"!

This is one of her dishes for Saturday lunch - Chilli Crabs or Ketam Masak Pedas. I wasn't in the kitchen when the crabs were being "prepared".

But based on what I had tasted, this is what she would have done "clacking" in the kitchen - toss the crabs in hot oil and in a different wok, sweat fresh diced garlic, ginger and tumeric and add in some chili boh (grounded dried chili) "to taste" and a dash of tomato ketchup. Once the chili boh is "cooked" (it normally gives a very "appetizing" smell, she would have thrown in the lightly fried crabs. Salt is a must but to reduce the spiciness and I'd also tasted some sweetness, she would have added a pinch of sugar. Some Malaysians are fond of adding "Ajinomoto" (monosodium glutamate) in their dishes but I heard sugar is a good substitute of MG.

To add a bit of colour to the red chilli crabs, at the last minute, she would have thrown in freshly cut parsley leaves.

Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment